Sunday, August 2, 2009

début de la fin - deux

ok sorry about that… I just had a moment where I realized I was just too tired to type on a keyboard. I had to go to sleep right then and there.

Where did I leave off? Thursday night… Cuban jazz club was about it. I was pretty tired from the festivities the night before. BUT FRIDAY was pretty cool… went up to the little touristy neighborhood of montemarte near sacre-coeur where Picasso used to live. Lots of little shops and café’s… there’s a little square where a bunch of “artists” ask you to pay a stupid amount money for a portrait that doesn’t look like you. Do I sound bitter?? Don’t ask.

Other than that, the view is exceptional. You can pretty much see all of paris from there.

After that, we ventured off to explore the Ile-de-St-Louis… the more quaint of the two islands on the seine. You can pretty much see the whole thing in a span of 20 minutes. We sat at a café with a view of the notre dame  and then headed back to rest up for a night on the town.

We went to a very student oriented bar area near Odeon, and managed to get free drinks the whole night because a friend of mine somehow stumbled upon a tiara somewhere and pretended that it was her birthday. That usually doesn’t work, but I think the tiara gave it a more realistic effect.

Saturday I went to the pompidou to see the Kandinsky exhibit I’d been dying to see. I’m happy to say that it lived up to my expectations… the exposition was very ambitious. It followed practically his ENTIRE career. They had many famous pieces of course, but also some interesting, smaller works I never even knew existed. They had an entire room of these old newspapers where he had published extensive exposés on art alongside woodblock prints. who knew?

And that was what lead up to Saturday night's festivities… this would have worked out better logistically had I finished this post last night.. but here we are.

Right now I’m sitting in the Luxembourg gardens… blogging on location!!! hadn’t been until now, and I must say it’s quite breathtaking. The grass is so lush, I wish I could sit in it L… there are multiple statues, little ponds with fountains, and so many flowers that the park is actually fragrent. To top it off, there’s an orchestra concert going on in the background. “the young orchestra” it’s called… looks like high school students, but they sound pretty good.  

I can’t believe it’s my last week here. There’s so much that I still want to do.. must prioritize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment